iS Clinical

The Right Time To Start Using Anti-Ageing Products 

By Eliska Dönges, Senior Somatologist and Practice Manager at Lightsculpt Aesthetic Clinic

“The answer is NOW!

It’s never too early or too late to prolong the ageing process. We live in a world where we get exposed to environmental aggressors on a daily basis, and with our demanding lifestyles internal factors can also play a role in speeding up our ageing journey.

Many people start noticing signs of ageing as young as their early 20’s, which is why it will be a good time incorporating anti-aging ingredients into your skincare regime.

The common signs of ageing include the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, dryness, loss of elasticity and plumpness, age spots (uneven skin tone), dull appearance, decreased cell turnover (uneven texture), and my least favourite enlarged pore size. Don’t you just hate seeing them?

Taking a look at some of the factors contributing to ageing:

  • Sun exposure
  • Pollution
  • Stress
  • Lack of sleep
  • Poor diet
  • Smoking
  • Certain medications

All these factors can lead to oxidative stress, inflammation, glycation, and DNA damage which in essence then creates the downward spiral of ageing.

Collagen Production During The Ageing Process.
Source: J Cosmet Dermatol. 2019 Mar 4. doi: 10.1111/jocd.12893

A very interesting topic is Epigenetics which is the study of how your behaviours and environment can cause changes that affect the way your genes work. Studies show that 35% of longevity of an individual is determined by their genetic makeup. But what about the rest? The other 65% of a person’s longevity is determined by the new field of epigenetics and these in particular include lifestyle, diet, environmental factors, and social support systems. Technically we are in control!

So, let’s start by what we apply onto our skin and put into our bodies..

A few of my favourite age defying iS Clinical ingredients include a proprietary combination of Extremozymes, L-ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), Copper Tripeptide-1, Sugarcane (Glycolic acid), Centella Asiatica, and Hyaluronic Acid.

Where to start when introducing anti-ageing products into your daily routine:

  1. SPF! The holy grail of ANY routine, especially anti-ageing. iS Clinical Extreme Protect SPF 30 / SPF 40 will be the best options. My personal favourite that I never skip (come rain or shine) is the tinted Extreme protect SPF 40 Beige, it gives my skin a luminous glow while I have rest of mind with getting optimal protection, and of course prolonging my youthful appearance.
  2. Antioxidants are very important in neutralising free radical damage, acting as an ‘off switch’. iS Clinical GeneXC Serum literally known as “Genie in a bottle” with the highest percentage of L-ascorbic acid of 20%, and Extremozyme technology is all you need! Another favourite is iS Clinical Super Serum Advance+ that combines a 15% concentration of L-ascorbic acid and Copper Tripeptide-1. These also focus on brightening the skin, giving it a more radiant appearance.
  3. Moisturising ingredients are vital in combating the dryness or sallowness associated with ageing. Youth Intensive Crème is the crème de la crème of age-defying moisturisers, it provides powerful hydration while adding antioxidants, resurfacing acids and growth factors aiding in a firmer more youthful appearance.
  4. Resurfacing agents are critical in assisting with the slower cell turnover associated with ageing. The remarkable iS Clinical Active Serum offers ingredients like Sugarcane (Glycolic acid – AHA that gently exfoliates for a renewed complexion) as well as White Willow Bark (Botanical BHA that deep cleanses pores), making this a powerhouse product added to your evening routine. iS Clinical Active Peel System being an all-time favourite, especially if you have limited time or as an amazing booster before an event. It combines all of the necessary ingredients to combat ageing ie. Extremozymes, Sugarcane, Mixed fruit acids, Aloe vera leaf extract, Copper Tripeptide-1. And these peel pads are biodegradable, how amazing?

These are some of the basics to start including into your routine right now. We only have one skin, and we should cherish it from a very young age.

The truth is anti-ageing can start from as young as 6 months of age by just applying SPF! 

You’re welcome.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *